Hudson Area Schools: Where Student Success is Our Priority!

If you are not yet a part of the Hudson community, we encourage you to find out more. Find out what so many young people and families have discovered…your future is bright at Hudson Area Schools!
Definition or resident and non-resident (school of choice) students: “District of residence” is defined as the district in which the custodial parent or legal guardian resides. A nonresident pupil is a pupil who is less than 18 years of age and whose parent(s) or legal guardian does not reside within the educating district's school. Approval requirement exceptions are detailed in Section 6(6) of the State School Aid Act (MCL 388.1606). For more information on residency and non-residency please contact the Board office at 517.448.8912 ext. 227.

A. Enrollment Process for Resident Students: Enrollment packets are available at building offices during regular business hours or may be mailed home upon request. The enrollment packet contains a registration form, a record release form, a transportation request form and concussion awareness information. Students and families that are considered homeless under the McKinney-
Vento Homelessness Act are also asked to complete a Families in Transition form. The following documents must be provided within 30 days, preferably at the time of student registration: Birth certificate, immunization records, proof of residency (mortgage payment receipt, rent receipt or utility bill), and proof of a vision and hearing screening. For more information on enrollment packets please call the building offices at 517.448.8912, ext. 248/242 (Elementary), or ext. 246/220 (MS/HS).

B. Enrollment Process for Non-Resident (School of Choice) Students: Students have two options to enroll under the School of Choice program:

1. Open enrollment windows are prior to the start of the school year and 15 days prior to the start of second trimester (usually near the end of November). To enroll during an open window, parents need to complete an Out of District School of Choice form, available in all building offices or online. The Superintendent's office receives the forms and verifies the information provided before approving or not approving the student to enroll in the district. Parents will be notified by phone or letter. Once a student has been approved, the enrollment process is the same as for resident students.

2. During a time outside the open window, the student's resident district needs to release the student to attend the non-resident district. Parents submit a completed Out of District School of Choice form. The Board office submits a Request for Non-Resident Release form to the resident district on the student's behalf and notifies the parent by phone or mail if and/or when the resident district releases the student. Once a student has been approved, the enrollment process is the same as for resident

​Please call the Board office at 517.448.8912 x. 227 with any questions on enrollment.

Kindergarten Readiness

Characteristics of students that are “ready”
  • Knows many of aspects of personal information
  • Knows most of the names of the body parts
  • Demonstrates most gross motor skills correctly
  • Demonstrates many visual motor skills correctly
  • Prints most of one’s personal information correctly
  • Recites most of the alphabet correctly
  • Sorts most objects correctly
  • Counts many numbers by rote correctly
  • Matches most quantities with numerals
  • Determines most totals of two sets correctly
  • Reads most uppercase letters correctly
  • Has much experience with books and text
  • Demonstrates verbal fluency and articulation in all situations

Special Education Services

Students entering the district for the first time with an IEP are supported through a temporary placement at the time they enroll. Services are duplicated from the previous school as much as possible. Within 30 school days staff from the Lenawee Intermediate School District will assess the student and schedule a meeting with parents and school officials.
Students can receive services for learning disabilities, speech and language, occupational therapy, physical therapy, visual impairments, otherwise health impairments (such as autism, Aspergers, or ADD and ADHD).

All Public Schools in Lenawee County determine the existence of a Specific Learning Disability using a Pattern of Strengths and Weaknesses. For a copy of the Standards and Procedures for Identification of Students with Suspected Specific Learning Disabilities visit lisd.us